April is a busy month with the Boston Marathon and other events making hotel rooms expensive and restaurant reservations scarce.
Easter Sunday April 4th & Passover April 4th-11th
On Easter Sunday, you'll find special menus in many restaurants. If you have suggestions for places not doing this or alternative dining suggestions for Easter, please add them. And, Passover is a great time to enjoy some of the special kosher foods that are easier to find at this time.
Related BostonZest Post: Where to Dine in Boston on Easter, April 5, 2015
Do you have a favorite place to buy chocolate for Easter Baskets?
Patriots Day Weekend/Boston Marathon & other BAA races 18th to the 20th
The Boston Athletic Association is expecting 30,000 runners and half a million spectators for the Marathon on April 20th. There are other races and marathon related events all weekend.
If you need to get somewhere on Marathon Monday – before the roads close – try to place yourself on the side of the course that will allow you to get where you're going.
Related Posts: A collection of tips for Marathon Weekend, some from past years, that we'll be updating between now and Marathon Monday.
- Parking Your Car for Boston Marathon Weekend 2014 (Update to Follow)
- Routes for Visiting Runners – Boston Marathon Weekend
- What’s Open in Boston on Patriots’ Day 2014 (Update to Follow)
- Work Out on a Public Parcourse along the Charles River
- How to Get to the Esplanade from Boston
For a long list of events for people with varied tastes, check out The Boston Calendar for April 2015.
For free and budget events, follow along with Kate from Boston On Budget.
For a curated list of historic events, you can depend on historian Liz Covart.
- April 1st - New Food Truck Schedules go into effect with a few new trucks and new spots for some of your old favorites.
- April 3-5 is the Anime Boston event at the Hynes Convention Center. This is a fun time to walk the area and take photos of the people dressed as their favorite characters. Most of them love to pose. If you're in town for some other reason, this is just a short lived event, not how Bostonians dress.
- April 18 - Greenway Spring Food Festival: Noon to 4:00 p.m. Some of our favorite food trucks will be on hand.
- April 18 - The Swan Boats will sail out from under the bridge onto the Boston Public Garden Lagoon
- April 26 - 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. - Fresh Paint, Sunday! "View Copley Society artist members at work creating their "fresh" canvases around the city."
Who Are all These Conventioneers?
Here are the dates of conventions that will impact hotel pricing and availability:
- April 9-10 - Boston National College Fair, estimated attendees - 15,000
- April 16-18 - National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Annual Meeting 2015, estimated attendees - 17,000
- April 29-May 2 - American College of Physicians Internal Medicine 2015, estimated attendees - 7,000
Graduation Season kicks off on April 25th
Every year, we publish a list of the spring graduation dates that make hotel and restaurant reservations harder to find in the weeks ahead. This year, we've added Wentworth Institute of Technology on April 25, 2015. If you need restaurant reservations or hotel rooms for friends and family from that date to June 5th, make them now.
You're up Next
What are your favorite April events or things you look forward to doing in Boston in April? Add your thoughts in the comments below. Tweet them to @BostonZest or send us an email and we'll add your suggestions to this post as an update.
Do you have an Amazon Gift Certificate to use? Or do you need to buy one for a gift? Remember to click over to Amazon from here to support this site!
Words: Penny & Ed Cherubino
Photography: © 2012-2015 Penny & Ed Cherubino (graduation caps are from istockphoto.com)