Boston has a wonderful array of parks and a few of them are dog-friendly. These are the places we love to go to sit on a bench or spread out a blanket and spend a bit of time enjoying dog watching, one of our favorite pastimes.
Christopher Columbus Park on the waterfront is a great destination for this game. You'll see dog walkers with packs in tow.
People running with their dogs.
Frisky frolickers like this little bit of a dog who was the fastest pup in the park during our visit. Zoom! Zoom!
Dogs and people who disagree on the direction of their stroll.
Pauses for sniffs while the person on the other end of the leash enjoys the view.
This park gets lots of bonus points from us for:
- Nearby food trucks on the Greenway and take out in the North End
- Free WiFi
- Restrooms just outside the doors to the Marriott hotel
- Great people watching, boat watching, airplane watching
- Shady spots under the arbor
- Walls and steps as extra seating
- Great photo subject like dogs, boats, architecture, and skylines
This is a great activity for hot days when moving around is taxing on everyone. And remember that the trip to a cooler waterfront location can be made on the MBTA with your dog – outside of rush hour.
June is a great time to take a ride with your dog if this will be a new experience. As you can see in the photo above, off-peak hours often find the trains fairly empty.
Our Poppy has all the details about riding the T here:
Words: Penny & Ed Cherubino
Photos: ©2016 Penny & Ed Cherubino