Lunch, last Monday, was the famous porchetta sandwich from the PennyPackers food truck. We highly recommend that all our friends and followers in the area join us in making Mondays "Pennypackers Porchetta Day." It can be the Back Bay version of Prince Spaghetti Day with better food.
Last Monday Penny split off on our dog walk to drop a package at the Post Office on Clarendon Street. Her secondary assignment was to pick up lunch along the way home. Imagine her joy as she neared the corner of Clarendon and Boylston (map) and spotted the word "Porchetta" in large letters on the back of a food truck.
The truck was Pennypackers and that sandwich is their specialty.
There it was on the menu, the porchetta sandwich with rhubarb mostarda. After a hurried walk home to have lunch ASAP, we were both savoring the deeply seasoned pork, stuffing, and the lift of the mostarda. (As you may have noticed from past posts, Penny is a big rhubarb fan and was thrilled to see it used in this classic Italian condiment.)
It wasn't until we studied the rest of the menu in the quick photos taken while waiting for the porchetta, that we both wished we had ordered a second or third item to have that night for supper.
Pennypackers posts their daily status and menu on Twitter and Facebook. Like or follow them for updates on where they are and what they are serving.
Here's a sampling of what they will be serving this spring:
- Pea Shoot Salad: arugula, peas, radish, spring onion, mint + shallot vinaigrette, shaved pecorino
- Bean Salad: white beans, haricot verts, snap peas, hazelnut vinaigrette, arugula + herbs, mixed seeds
- Crushed Fried Potatoes: jalapeno, gorgonzola, extra virgin olive oil
- Mixed Seasonal Pickles
- Grilled Asparagus (side): smoked Russian dressing, chives
- Grilled Asparagus Sandwich: gruyere, pickled red onion, smoked Russian dressing, herb salad
- Vegetarian Pan Bagnat: fava beans, chickpeas, haricot verts, artichoke, red onion, radish, olive, herbs, hard boiled egg
- Fried Chicken Sandwich: shaved smoked ham, rhubarb jalapeno relish, bibb lettuce
- Porchetta Sandwich: daily accompaniment
- Grassfed Beef Ribeye Sandwich: sauteed mushrooms, ramp butter, preserved citrus gremolata
- Daily Sausage Special
Update: (05.16.16) We picked up these items for lunch! (Click on photos for larger images) Left to Right: Crushed Fried Potatoes, Fried Chicken Sandwich, and Ribeye Sandwich. They were all hits – especially the potatoes!
Here's what the porchetta looks like before it becomes a delectable sandwich. (from the Pennypackers facebook page.)
Brick & Mortar Pennypackers
Like a few of the other great food truck families, Pennypackers has opened a brick and mortar restaurant. If the food truck schedule doesn't work for you, visit them at 514C Medford Street, Somerville, MA. (map) Right now that location is open Thursdays through Sundays. The hours are posted here.
Please get out and support our local food trucks. You'll have a better meal than you would from a national chain and you'll be helping a small business grow just the way we see Pennypackers growing.
What's on your Food Lover's shopping list?
Words: Penny & Ed Cherubino
Photos: ©2016 Penny Cherubino with porchetta roll from Pennypackers facebook page.