This article from the Pet Poison Helpline with even more information on products containing the chemical Xylitol, that can be deadly to our precious dogs, came across my desk this week.
Last summer I wrote one of my City Paws newspaper columns on this topic and republished it here on BostonZest. Here's a link to that article.
The update from Pet Poison Helpline includes a long list of prescription and over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, supplements, and foods that contain this toxin for dogs. Ahna Brutlag, DVM, MS, DABT, DABVT, Associate Director of Veterinary Services, Pet Poison Helpline, wrote the article. She has also stressed how low the toxic levels can be and what you should do if your dogs might have ingested any of these products.
Review these items in both articles and if you have any of them, be sure to put them in dog safe containers and out of reach. You might want to make your own or buy poison stickers to attach to any item that could be harmful.
One action we have taken is extra care when disposing of sugarless chewing gum. It is only put in trash receptacles that our Poppy has absolutely no way of exploring. And our gum is placed in screw-top glass jars just to be extra sure it doesn't attract her attention.
Words: Penny & Ed Cherubino
Photos: ©2016 Penny & Ed Cherubino