The easiest and most enjoyable job (if you can call it that) we’ve ever had is selecting a sparkling wine to celebrate the arrival of each and every new month (a.k.a. Our Sparkling Resolution).
Of course, since we’ve kept the streak alive for more than eight years (let’s see ... that’s at least a hundred bottles of bubbly) and don’t feature wines we dislike, you might guess at times the challenge to pick another winner could become formidable.
All we can say is clear your mind of any such nonsense and focus instead on helping us ring in September with a sparkler of your choice. We’ve decided to go with the Stephane Tissot Crémant du Jura (a Crémant that’s about as close as you come to a “sure thing.”)
Here’s What Tasters Are Saying About This Sparkler:
- “This Stephane Tissot Cremant du Jura is an aromatic ringer for champagne …”
- “... stylish, mineral driven rendition of pinot noir and chardonnay”
- “... still manages to maintain a unique Jurassien personality – a little softer, more grapey, and redolent of almonds and spring flowers”
- “... distinct expressions of Chardonnay ... awesome Chardonnay based bubblies”
- “In complexity and sheer deliciousness, this is a quality/price superstar.”
- “50% Chardonnay, 40% Pinot Noir, 5% Poulsard, 5% Trousseau”
- “... distinctly delicious and encouragingly affordable”
- “... texturally flattering”
- “... hint of citrus enlivens a modest finish”
- “... should be enjoyed in its youth."
Bénédicte and Stéphane Tissot ...
- “Tasting: Bubble thin and delicate, it offers faîcheur (freshness) sparkling & elegant fruit”
- “Food Pairings: Aperitif, desserts …”
What we say about this Tissot Crémant ...
- “Lemony, tart, nice acidity (not overdone)”
- “Bitter almond notes”
- “Has a very distinct voice all its own”
- “Palate cleansing”
- “Citrusy notes would match well with scallops, hot buttered lobster …”
- “Also should work with Thai, Asian food, fried clams ...”
- “Has some weight to it”
We purchased our bottle of Tissot Crémant du Jura @ Gordon’s Fine Wines and Liquors, Boston (Listed here @ $19.99)
Here’s to September. Cheers!
Here are all the wines we've covered. Since this is a category this post may appear at the top. Just scroll down for more.
Want to learn more about wine? Remember to click over to Amazon from here to support this site! Here are three of our favorite wine books.
Words: Penny & Ed Cherubino
Photography: © 2016 Penny & Ed Cherubino