In this year of favorite wines and friendship, we will be toasting with a bottle of Nino Franco Faìve Brut Rosé. A wine has to have special meaning for us to take it with us to Provincetown. This year a bottle joined us there in spring and another will join us with friends to toast August.
We must explained the name of this lovely Rosé. "Faìve, from the Venetian dialect, are the small gilded red tongues of flame and sparks rising towards the sky from a great fire, lightly and freely carried by the wind." Sylvia Franco told us the pronunciation is Fie-EE-vay!
Our stash of Faìve was hiding in plain sight on the top of a bookcase. We've been rationing this harder-to-find wine. But the time has come to enjoy this special bottle and share the experience with friends. Then we'll go hunting for a new supply!
Here is what Nino Franco says about this special Rosé from their collection:
- "Variety and Grapes: 80% Merlot 20% Cabernet Franc.
- Vinification Technique: Short skin and must contact at a low temperature to obtain the right colour. The first fermentation in steel tanks and the second one in “cuve close”.
- Type: Rosé Brut.
- Colour: Rose petal -like pink.
- Flavour: Perfume of small red fruits. Mineral and floral notes.
- Taste: In the mouth, pleasurably fresh. Dry with soft tannins and persistent bubbles.
- Matching: Well paired with mortadella, meat and mushroom dishes, fish or vegetable soups. Excellent with “Lasagna”, “Parmigiano" or the typical Italian dish “vitello tonnato” .
- Serving Temperature: 6° - 8° degrees" (~ 43°F - 46°F)
While we are enjoying this old friend from our wine rack, we hope you'll pull a bottle you have been saving and join our sparkling resolution as we toast the new month of August 2018. Trying wines from different places, made with different grapes, and produced by different methods adds spice to our monthly ritual. Since 2007 we have raised a glass of sparkling wine to greet each new month!
Here is an earlier post about this wine from 2015!
Here are all the wines we've covered. Since this is a category, this post may appear at the top. Just scroll down for more.
What's on your Food Lover's Shopping List?
Words: Penny & Ed Cherubino
Photos: ©2018 Penny & Ed Cherubino