Once again the Boston Public Library comes through with free entertainment for those of us who take advantage of the endless ways this Boston resource serves the public. The Concert in the Courtyard series for 2016 began this week and will continue through August 31st.
Here's what the folks at the BPL have told us about this season.
"Boston Public Library’s free Concerts in the Courtyard series returns June 1 and runs through August 31, featuring a variety of artists and musical genres in the library’s iconic courtyard at the Central Library in Copley Square, located at 700 Boylston Street. Concerts are held on Wednesdays at 6 p.m. and on Fridays at 12:30 p.m. All the concerts are free and last approximately one hour. Wednesday concerts are presented in partnership with Berklee College of Music."
- Rodolfo Arteaga, Wednesday, June 1 ● 6 p.m. Rodolfo Arteaga is a singer-songwriter and cellist from Ciudad Ojeda, Venezuela.
- Cocek! Brass Band, Friday, June 3 ● 12:30 p.m. Cocek! Brass Band’s original music is based on the sounds of Eastern European brass bands and blends dance music with improvisation and inspiring melodies.
- Samuel Batista, Wednesday, June 8 ● 6 p.m. Samuel Batista is an alto saxophone player from Panama City, Panama.
- Moody Street Sound, Friday, June 10 ● 12:30 p.m. Hailing from Lowell, Massachusetts, Moody Street Sound is a sextet specializing in jazz, soul, and the blues.
- Harshitha Krishnan, Wednesday, June 15 ● 6 p.m. Harshitha Krishnan is a vocalist of Indian origin from Lagos, Nigeria.
- Duo Esplanade, Friday, June 17 ● 12:30 p.m. Duo Esplanade explores the flexible sounds of flute and clarinet, both as solo instruments and as part of different instrumental combinations in the various styles of standard classical repertoire, new music, and original arrangements.
- Eduardo Mercuri, Wednesday, June 22 ● 6 p.m. Born in Curitiba, Brazil, guitar player Eduardo Mercuri has performed at the Panama Jazz Festival, Beantown Jazz Festival, and the 2013 Latin Grammys.
- Properly Unprepared, Friday, June 24 ● 12:30 p.m. Properly Unprepared is a jazz combo made up of five members with an average age of 18.
- Kristin Corpuz, Wednesday, June 29 ● 6 p.m. Kristin Corpuz is a singer-songwriter, actress, and dancer from Tampa, Florida, who currently attends Berklee College of Music as a 2013 Presidential Scholar.
- Phil Berman, Friday, July 1 ● 12:30 p.m.
- luhx., Wednesday, July 6 ● 6 p.m.
- Castle of our Skins, Friday, July 8 ● 12:30 p.m.
- MIXCLA, Wednesday, July 13 ● 6 p.m.
- Amaryllis Chamber Ensemble, Friday, July 15 ● 12:30 p.m.
- Dear June, Wednesday, July 20 ● 6 p.m.
- Isabel Stover and Molly Flannery, Friday, July 22 ● 12:30 p.m.
- Shirhan Agabeyli, Wednesday, July 27 ● 6 p.m.
- Boston Youth Symphony Orchestras’ Intensive Community Program, Friday, July 29 ● 12:30 p.m.
- Kyle Thornton & The Company, Wednesday, August 3 ● 6 p.m.
- Kenn Morr Band, Friday, August 5 ● 12:30 p.m.
- Njoki Karu, Wednesday, August 10 ● 6 p.m.
- Hiroya Tsukamoto, Friday, August 12 ● 12:30 p.m.
- James Fernando, Wednesday, August 17 ● 6 p.m.
- Yi David Yang, Friday, August 19 ● 12:30 p.m.
- Honeysuckle, Wednesday, August 24 ● 6 p.m.
- Boston Lyric Opera, Friday, August 26 ● 12:30 p.m.
- Aliya Cycon Project, Wednesday, August 31 ● 6 p.m.
Concerts in the Courtyard are generously supported by the Library Programs Fund at the Boston Public Library Foundation. Concerts will be moved indoors in the event of inclement weather.
Do you have an Amazon Gift Certificate to use? Or do you need to buy one for a gift? Remember to click over to Amazon from here to support this site!
Words: Penny & Ed Cherubino
Photography: © 2008-2013 Penny & Ed Cherubino