Here's a rundown of what's open and what's closed in Boston on Presidents' Day and the MBTA schedule changes, plus information on Boston trash pick-up and parking information for February 15, 2016.
We publish these resource pages early to assist you in planning your holidays. We'll keep updates coming as new information is published. Follow us on Twitter to learn about updates.
Restaurants, bars: Open
Convenience stores: Open
Retail stores: Are allowed to open if the owners choose
Liquor stores: Open if the owners choose
City, Town, State and Federal offices and facilities are closed: This includes Schools, Libraries, and the Postal Service (express mail will be delivered). Only emergency services are available.
Financial Services: As the British would say, this is a Bank Holiday with both banks and the stock markets in the United States closed. Some international markets are open. In recent years, we've noticed some banks keep some branches open at unexpected times so check with your own bank.
Parking, Boston trash, and MBTA after the ad.
This weekend is a great time to start your tax preparation. Step one, order your software by following this link to Amazon.You can even download some versions right from the Amazon Download Store. Shopping Amazon from here keeps information like this coming your way.
Boston Parking: You don't have to feed the meters. Other parking rules apply.
Boston Trash and Recycling:
The city has changed the way it publishes the schedule for holidays so that you now have to go to the city site and look up your specific address in order to get information.
MBTA Schedule for Presidents' Day, February 15, 2016
For a short time before the holiday, a complete list of schedule changes with appear at this link.
- Blue, Orange, Red, Green and Mattapan Lines will operate a Saturday schedule.
- Silver line will operate a weekday schedule.
- Commuter Rail trains will operate a Saturday schedule.
- Buses and trackless trolleys will operate a Saturday schedule. Check this link for bus routes that will not operate. (Note: this link will only work up until the holiday.)
- Hingham, Hull, and Charlestown Boat Service will operate a regular weekday schedule.
- THE RIDE will operate a Saturday schedule, but contact your local RIDE contractor for details.
For more information on routes, schedules, and fares, contact the MBTA at 617-222-3200, TTY 617-222-5146, or check the MBTA’s website www.mbta.com.
Do you have an Amazon Gift Certificate to use? Or do you need to buy one for a gift? Remember to click over to Amazon from here to support this site!
Words: Penny & Ed Cherubino
Photography: ©2010 Penny Cherubino