Once again the Boston Public Library comes through with free entertainment for those of us who take advantage of the endless ways this Boston resource serves the public. The Concerts in the Courtyard series for 2017 begins today and will continue through August 30th.
Here's what the folks at the BPL have told us about this season:
Can't sneak away from the office for our noon performances? We will be streaming the Friday concerts live on our Facebook page."
Concerts are held on Wednesdays at 6 p.m. and on Fridays at 12:30 p.m. All the concerts are free.
Area 9 Quartet, Friday, June 2, 12:30 p.m. Area 9 Quartet is a Boston-based ensemble dedicated to exploring the rich, diverse, and ever-growing chamber music repertoire for saxophone.
Marco Mares, Wednesday, June 7, 6 p.m. Marco Mares is a singer-songwriter from Mexico City who showcased his fresh and honest pop sound in his debut album Para Ella (2014). Marco’s interactive performances highlight fun, funky pop mixed with romantic Spanish lyrics.
Boston Philharmonic, Friday, June 9, 12:30 p.m. Join members of the Boston Philharmonic as they perform chamber and quartet music, taking their passion out of the concert hall to the public as part of their education and community outreach program, Crescendo!
Francesca Crowley, Wednesday, June 14, 6 p.m. Francesca’s influences include songwriters such as Stevie Nicks, Norah Jones, and Joni Mitchell, and she strives to create new and different music inspired by her life.
Project STEP, Friday, June 16, 12:30 p.m. Project STEP (String Training and Education Program) recognizes that certain racial and ethnic minorities are vastly underrepresented in classical music. Their mission is to address this imbalance by identifying musically talented children from underrepresented Boston and surrounding communities and providing them with comprehensive music and string instrument instruction.
Maro Maro, Wednesday, June 21, 6 p.m. Maro Maro is a singer-songwriter, pianist, and guitarist from Lisbon, Portugal.
Francisco Roldán, Friday, June 23, 12:30 p.m. Colombian-born guitarist Francisco Roldán plays solo and chamber music nationally and internationally. Roldán presents a concert of lyrical, rhythmic, and sensual music by Central and South American composers on the classical guitar.
Aliya Cycon Project, Wednesday, June 28, 6 p.m. Aliya Cycon Project (ACP) blends Aliya Cycon’s soulful compositions with characteristics of traditional Arabic music to create an unforgettable East-meets-West experience.
Boston Youth Symphony Orchestras (BYSO) Intensive Community Program (ICP), Friday, June 30, 12:30 p.m. The Intensive Community Program is a rigorous instrument training program that brings quality classical music instruction to underrepresented communities.
July and August schedule:
- Brandon Diaz, Wednesday, July 5, 6 p.m.
- NorthStar Duo, Friday, July 7, 12:30 p.m.
- Samuel Batista, Wednesday, July 12, 6 p.m.
- Amaryllis Chamber Ensemble, Friday, July 14, 12:30 p.m.
- Niu Raza, Wednesday, July 19, 6 p.m.
- Joel LaRue Smith, Friday, July 21, 12:30 p.m.
- BEARD, Wednesday, July 26, 6 p.m.
- Properly Unprepared, Friday, July 28, 12:30 p.m.
- Harshitha Krishnan, Wednesday, August 2, 6 p.m.
- Kenn Morr Band, Friday, August 4, 12:30 p.m.
- Sleeping Lion, Wednesday, August 9, 6 p.m.
- Boston Philharmonic, Friday, August 11, 12:30 p.m.
- Venezuelan Project, Wednesday, August 16, 6 p.m.
- Night Tree, Friday, August 18, 12:30 p.m.
- Abby Carey, Wednesday, August 23, 6 p.m.
- Boston Lyric Opera, Friday, August 25, 12:30 p.m.
- Amber Olivia Kiner, Wednesday, August 30, 6 p.m.
Do you have an Amazon Gift Certificate to use? Or do you need to buy one for a gift? Remember to click over to Amazon from here to support this site!
Words: Penny & Ed Cherubino
Photography: © 2008-2013 Penny & Ed Cherubino