Pull out your calendars and mark the dates when you can go and see our Boston area farmers market friends at their outdoor spots. Our Friday Links today will take you to your favorite markets for the 2016 spring to fall season.
On the day I took this photo, I learned that the Stillman stand at the Boston Public Market would be expanding around the corner!
First, The News!
This year there will be a second day for the South End/SoWa Farmers Market on Harrison Avenue. You can shop for local food at this popular venue on both Saturdays and Sundays this season.
The Boston Public Market now serves Bostonians as their primary year-round farmers market. Beginning on July 18th, this local food marketplace will be open 7 days a week – an increase from the current 5 days.
Here are the opening dates for some of our favorite markets. The links are to maps of the locations:
Boston Public Market: Wednesdays through Sundays year-round increasing to daily beginning July 18th
South End/SoWa Open Market: May 1st (Saturdays & Sundays)
- Egleston Jamaica Plain: May 7th (Saturdays)
- Jamaica Plain (677 Centre Street): May 7th (Saturdays) (June 14th Tuesdays)
Copley Square: May 10th (Tuesdays and Fridays)
Cambridge Center (Kendall MBTA): May 11th (Wednesdays)
Union Square, Somerville: May 14th (Saturdays)
- Boston Public Market on the Greenway: May 18th (Wednesdays)
- Central Square, Cambridge: May 16th (Mondays)
- South Station/Dewey Square: May 17th (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
- Davis Square, Somerville: May 18th (Wednesdays)
- Cambridge/Charles Square: May (Sundays), June (Fridays) (Unconfirmed)
- Oak Square, Brighton: June 1st (Wednesdays) New Market updated 05.19.16
- Roslindale: June 4th (Saturdays)
- Harvard University Farmers Market: Cambridge: June 7th (Tuesdays)
- Brookline/Coolidge Corner: June 18th (Thursdays)
- Dorchester/Ashmont/Peabody Square: June 24th (Fridays)
- Allston/Harvard Farmers Market: June (Fridays) (Not confirmed)
- Allston Village, 500 Cambridge St: June (Saturdays) (Not confirmed)
- Cambridgeport: June (Saturdays) (Not confirmed)
Boston Medical Center Shapiro Lobby, 840 Harrison Avenue (Thursdays) June
Mission Hill/Roxbury, Brigham Circle: Mid-June (Thursdays) (Not confirmed)
Charlestown: Thompson Square at Main & Austin Street, July (Wednesdays)
East Boston/Central Square 209 Summer Street: July 6th (Wednesdays)
- Boston University, 775 Commonwealth Avenue, (Thursdays) September.
If you have confirmed dates for your favorite farmers market, please tell us in a comment or send us an email and we'll add it as an update to this post.
We use and highly recommend a Rolser Shopping Trolley for your farmers market visits. It stands on its own and can haul your purchases over city sidewalks without a problem.
See our review of The Boston Homegrown Cookbook: Local Food, Local Restaurants, Local Recipes. It's full of chefs, farmers, and food producers you know, and we highly recommend it. Remember, always click over to Amazon from here to support this site!
Words: Penny & Ed Cherubino
Photography: © 2011 Penny Cherubino