Instead of thinking, “Time to walk the dog,” try turning it around by saying, “Time for my dog to take me outside.” Say it in a tone of appreciation, because being outside can be very good for both of you.
Cameron Woo, co-founder and publisher of The Bark magazine, brought to my attention recently the importance of the time I spend outside with my dog. He wrote, “According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the average American spends 87% of their life indoors with another 6% spent in automobiles for a total of 93% habitating in enclosed spaces. That leaves only 7% of one’s entire life to spend outdoors. Translated to daily life, we average only about 100 minutes of our day outside”
Even with the cold and snow last winter, Poppy made sure we had some time outside each day. She likes the cold better than the heat and loved those high snowbanks.
Living in one of the country’s most walkable cities (where 15% of us walk to work), Bostonians may do a bit better than average at spending time outdoors. But, Bostonians with dogs have the advantage of taking a few more trips a day to the streets and parks with their canine companions.
Where Do You Walk?
Most days we walk the Commonwealth Avenue Mall. That's our routine dog place. But, we also love to explore the city and discover other great dog neighborhoods. Where do you walk your dog? What places do you recommend that we explore? And, how much time do you spend outdoors each day?
Get to know all of our Sunday Dogs at Boston Dogs.
Thanks to everyone who Hops over to Amazon from here to do their shopping. We appreciate your support. And, we highly recommend a subscription to The Bark. It is one of the few print publication subscriptions we still receive.
Words: Penny Cherubino (Adapted from one of her City Paws newspaper columns)
Photos: ©2015 Penny & Ed Cherubino