One of our favorite entertainment programs of the year, the Boston Public Library's (BPL) Courtyard Concert Series returns on June 4, 2014 at 6pm. Notice the day and date.
As, the BPL announced, "In addition to Friday lunchtime concerts at 12:30 p.m., this season the library now offers evening concerts on Wednesdays at 6 p.m. All the concerts are free and last approximately one hour."
The Fernando Holz Band delighted audiences last year and is scheduled to appear again this summer.
Here are the rest of the details the library provided for the series.
The month of June features Berklee College of Music students and alumni performing everything from jazz, pop, and funk to works with Arab, Latin American, and Scottish influences:
- Daniel Rotem Trio, Wednesday, June 4, at 6 p.m. The Trio performs original compositions that integrate world influences with improvisation and the jazz tradition.
- KeL, Friday, June 6, at 12:30 p.m. KeL combines elements of jazz and pop with Brazilian melodies.
- Wambura Mitaru, Wednesday, June 11, at 6 p.m. The artist’s eclectic music blends funk, soul, R&B, jazz, and hip-hop as well as sounds inspired by her African background.
- Jenna Moynihan and Mairi Chaimbeul, Friday, June 13, at 12:30 p.m. Rooted in traditional Scottish and Appalachian old-time music, Moynihan and Chaimbeul developed a sound which celebrates and explores beautiful melodies.
- The Western Den, Wednesday, June 18, at 6 p.m. Deni Hlavinka and Chris West blend folk harmonies with ambient textures to produce unique sounds and songs.
- Ahmad El Haggar, Friday, June 20, at 12:30 p.m. The Egyptian singer-songwriter and oud player performs original songs and rearranges music from the Arab world to create modern sounds.
- 3 Sudacas, Wednesday, June 25, at 6 p.m. Performers at the 2014 Latin Grammys with Alejandro Sanz, the group plays both traditional and unique compositions arranged for voice, percussion, mandolin, guitar, and bass.
- Miriam Elhajli, Friday, June 27, at 12:30 p.m. The folk singer-songwriter combines the sounds of Joan Baez and Buffy Sainte-Marie with the crudeness of Delta Blues.
The complete Concerts in the Courtyard schedule, which is generously sponsored by the Boston Public Library Foundation (www.bplf.com), can be viewed at www.bpl.org/concerts. The concerts continue in July and August with the following schedule:
- Kendall Ramseur, Wednesday, July 2, 6 p.m.
- Cruzamente Quintet, Wednesday, July 9, 6 p.m.
- Erika Van Pelt, Friday, July 11, 12:30 p.m.
- Amaryllis Chamber Ensemble, Wednesday, July 16, 6 p.m.
- Lindsay Straw, Friday, July 18, 12:30 p.m.
- Patrick Coman, Wednesday, July 23, 6 p.m.
- Cardamom Quartet, Friday, July 25, 12:30 p.m.
- Susan Cattaneo, Wednesday, July 30, 6 p.m.
- Properly Unprepared, Friday, August 1, 12:30 p.m.
- Darlingside, Wednesday, August 6, 6 p.m.
- Boston Lyric Opera, Friday, August 8, 12:30 p.m.
- Caitlin Canty, Wednesday, August 13, 6 p.m.
- The Jason Palmer Quartet, Friday, August 15, 12:30 p.m.
- Fernando Holz Band, Wednesday, August 20, 6 p.m.
- Bill Lowe, Friday, August 22, 12 p.m.
- The Ron Murphy Band, Wednesday, August 27, 6 p.m.
- American Century Music, Friday, August 29, 12:30 p.m.
Do you have an Amazon Gift Certificate to use? Or do you need to buy one for a gift? Remember to click over to Amazon from here to support this site!
Words: Penny & Ed Cherubino
Photography: © 2013 Penny Cherubino