We publish these resource pages early to assist our readers in planning their holidays. We'll keep updates coming as new information is published. Follow us on Twitter to learn about updates.
Restaurants, bars: Open
Convenience stores: Open
Retail stores: Are allowed to open if the owners choose
Liquor stores: Open
City, Town, State and Federal offices and facilities are closed: This includes Schools, Libraries, and the Postal Service (express mail will be delivered). Only emergency services are available.
Financial Services: As the British would say, this is a Bank Holiday with both Banks and the stock markets in the United State closed. Some international markets are open. In recent year's we've notices some banks keep some branches open at unexpected times so check with your own bank.
Parking, Boston trash, and MBTA after the ad.
This weekend is a great time to start your tax preparation. Step one, order your software by following this link to Amazon. You can even download some versions right from the Amazon Download Store. Shopping Amazon from here keeps information like this coming your way.
Boston Parking: You don't have to feed the meters. Other parking rules apply.
Boston Recycling and Trash Collection:
No Delay of trash or recycling collection in Back Bay, Bay Village, Beacon Hill, Charlestown, Chinatown, Fenway, Leather District, Mission Hill, North End, Roxbury, South Boston, and the South End.
Delay trash and recycling collection a day only if you live in Allston, Brighton, Dorchester, East Boston, Hyde Park, Jamaica Plain*, Mattapan, Roslindale, or West Roxbury.
*If you live in Jamaica Plain and your trash is picked up 2 times per week, do not delay."
Here's the source of the recycling and trash information.
MBTA Schedule Changes
(Update: 02.06.13) The MBTA Presidents' Day operations schedule was posted as follows: (note this link will only work up until the holiday.)
- Blue, Orange, and Red Line trains, Green Line streetcars will operate on a Saturday schedule.
- Silver Line will operate on a Saturday schedule.
- Most Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule. The Fairmont, Greenbush, Kingston/Plymouth and Needham lines will not operate.
- Buses and trackless trolleys will operate on a Saturday schedule. Check this link for bus routes that will not operate. (note this link will only work up until the holiday.)
- Hingham and Qunicy commuter boat service will operate on a regular weekday schedule.
- Inner Harbor Ferry Service – Charlestown to Long Wharf will operate on a regular weekday schedule.
- THE RIDE will operate on a Saturday schedule, but contact your local Ride contractor for details.
For more information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at 617-222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TTY 617-222-5146) or log onto the MBTA’s website www.mbta.com.
Do you have an Amazon Gift Certificate to use? Or do you need to buy one for a gift? Remember to click over to Amazon from here to support this site!
Words: Penny & Ed Cherubino
Photography: © 2010 Penny Cherubino
Note on Comments: We monitor comments constantly and anything that is pure spam, inappropriate, or nasty is swept away. In addition to readers' comments, we welcome hearing from the people, places, and services we cover. Often, those add great insights for our readers. As long as it doesn’t become a pure ad, we’d love to hear from you. We do reserve the right to edit ads and links out of comments.