Planning a Valentine's Day Dinner for someone special takes some planning. This year, February 14th falls on a Thursday but that doesn't mean you have to make that your big date night. You can plan a special evening of take-out and a great bottle of wine for Valentine's Day served up with a promissory note for a special weekend meal.
Reservations at wonderful, romantic restaurants go quickly. But, we have lots of ideas for all types of celebrations for budgets of all sizes. Today, we'll address where to dine. There are more ideas on some of our past Valentine posts. These are from other times, so check for details with the places mentioned.
This is one of the busiest nights of the year for restaurants, so expect many special prix fixe menus and don't be surprised if you have to leave a credit card to guarantee a reservation.
Some of you enjoy trying the special holiday menus at your favorite spots. Others avoid dining out on days like this unless they can order off the regular menu. As you check the lists we provide, be on the lookout for special menus beyond that one, official day. That happened with some places last year.
When A Valentine Lunch or Dinner is on the Menu...
- Open Table has a list of restaurants, and note if they have a special menu or if their regular menu is available.
- Gayot has lists of their Best Boston Valentines Restaurants, 10 Sexiest Restaurants, and Top 10 Romantic Restaurants in Boston.
- Boston Chefs has a list with some information at this link.
- Best Valentine Tables from UrbanDaddy
Check back because we'll update this list as some of the other area experts publish their choices.
1.30.13 Update: Lisa DeCanio over on BostonInno has her list of: Nine Romantic Valentine’s Dinners You Need to Make Reservations For Right Now.
Is Our Style, Your Style?
You won't find us out for the typical fine dining, prix fixe meal on any special day. If you love great food and are a bit more casual in style we might suggest some of our favorite ways to share a meal.
- Central Bottle is serving pink bubbles and $1. Island Creek Oysters at their Valentine Wine Bar. Nibble on great cheese and salumi, add a few oysters and sip an excellent wine. This is also perfect for gathering some friends and having good conversation.
- Sharing small plates at Coppa is our idea of a perfect time together. You might even turn this into an Afternoon Delight on V-Day.
- Stop into Petit Robert Bistro or Brasserie JO to share a wonderful profiterole dripping with chocolate sauce. Two spoons dipping away, sharing best bites can be very intimate!
- Share a Dim Sum style brunch at Myers+Chang. If the romance is new, this is a great way to experiment with one another's food choices!
Romantic Dining in Boston with a Foreign Travel Theme (Some of our favorite restaurants offer an authentic taste of the cuisine they serve. A place where the decor, music, and food all bring you to another land.)
Beacon Hill Hot Chocolate and Ice Skating on the Common (A Romantic but inexpensive date.)
Need some Valentine's Day gift ideas? Click over to Amazon and do some planning, and if you do buy something there, they'll put a few coins in our tip cup.
Words: Penny Cherubino
Photos: © 2012 Penny Cherubino
Note on Comments: We monitor comments constantly and anything that is pure spam, inappropriate, or nasty is swept away. In addition to readers' comments, we welcome hearing from the people, places, and services we cover. Often those comments add great insights for our readers. As long as it doesn’t become a pure ad, we’d love to hear from you.