Entertaining this weekend? How about a "build-it-yourself strawberry shortcake table" for dessert? We've done this for years, and our guests love it!
It's easy on the host and fun for the guests. Here's the step-by-step on how we do it.
- Reserve the most perfect berries for dipping in chocolate and eating out-of-hand. Put a shaker of sugar near the plain berries for those who would like to sprinkle a bit on their choices
- Slice and sugar the rest and allow them to form a natural sauce overnight in the refrigerator.
- Collect a variety of bases– dessert cups, short cake, biscuits, ladyfingers, cookies, and angel food cake are a few I've used for this.
- Since it's July 4th, add a big dish of blueberries for red, white, and blue creations.
- Add a fondue pot of dipping chocolate, and you'll have guests swooning.
- Arrange a selection of toppings. I've set out whipped cream, yogurt, ice cream, creme fraiche, and fudge sauce.
- For something tall on the table, add wine buckets filled with bottles of sparkling wine that guests can pour over a few berries in a champagne glass.
- Set up a tray of "special enhancements" (rums, liqueurs, and dessert wines) to drizzle on the cakes or sip with the shortcake. Most popular around here was limoncello.
- Add big napkins to protect clothes; spoons, dishes, or wine glasses to hold your guest's creations; and let everyone have fun with the fruit.
What's on your Summer Fun shopping list? Shop Amazon - Get Ready for Summer - Everything You Need and support this site!
Words: Penny & Ed Cherubino
Photography: © 2012 Penny & Ed Cherubino